What is Alcohol Poisoning?

Alcohol poisoning is one of the effects that could result from drinking too much of alcohol within a short-period of time. Alcohol poisoning is usually a result of binge drinking; the intake of five or more drinks in a short span of time. Once we binge drink this way, or drink too excessively for our own techniques, the liver cannot process most of the alcohol that has been taken in to the system fast enough. This causes the excess alcohol to become introduced in to the bloodstream, which then flows to the mind, affecting the neurochemistry. This may affect many functions in the body. Since alcohol is a depressant, a large amount of alcohol may lead to the suppression of 1 or even more vital systems, like the respiratory system. Alcohol is usually metabolized in the liver at the rate of just one ounce every 90 minutes. This would be the equivalent of a two-ounce mixed drink, one beer or even a regular-size glass of wine. This is actually the rate a healthy liver functions. Almost any liver disease will be able to metabolize alcohol far more slowly.

Alcohol poisoning can result in respiratory failure, liver failure, or heart failure, and represses natural reflexes. For example, a lot of people with liquor poisoning are so intoxicated that they do not have a gag re-flex, which may lead them to asphyxiate on their own vomit if they regurgitate while they are unconscious.

What’s alcohol poisoning? Just how do we recognize it? What do we do when we recognize it? There are many different symptoms the period to an instance of alcohol poisoning. These signs may possibly include:

* Confusion and stupor

* Vomiting

* Seizures

* Slowed breathing or abnormal breathing

* Skin that becomes blue-tinged or light

* Lowered body temperature, even hypothermia

* Unconsciousness with little to no success of awakening

If these symptoms are found in somebody you know, you should seek medical attention immediately. Alcohol poisoning treatment contains breathing support and administration of fluids and vitamins to remove alcohol from your system.

It’s very important to keep the person with alcohol poisoning sitting in one place if they are awake, until medical assistance arrives. Do not give them coffee or caffeine as this results in further dehydration. Give water to them should they may take it. Turn them on their side; do not allow them to sit on their backs, If they are passed out.

Sufficiently high quantities of alcohol in the body can cause coma or death. Acute alcohol poisoning is considered a medical emergency.

Talk To Someone Today

Posted in National Addiction Helpline  |  Leave a comment

Leave a reply